The CW 10 Southeast Texas Beaumont
Stay Connected: Contact Us
CW TV RSS Feed CW TV Mail

Top Stories

KWBB CW10 South Texas :: News - Top Stories - Homeowner suffers injuries to face when propane burner sparks fire

Homeowner suffers injuries to face when propane burner sparks fire

BEAUMONT - By: Leslie Rangel


A propane tank started a fire in the 1600 block of Avenue I in Beaumont at about 9:30 this morning. 


A neighbor saw the smoke and ran to help the man who lived there.


"The flames were kind of getting to him and he didn't want to move and I tried to drag him out of the way," neighbor, Kenneth Mouton told KFDM News.


Firefighters say Mouton's neighbor tried to light the propane burner inside the home. He had problems and dragged it outside. Shortly after, it flared and burned him in the face.


Fire officials say with lower temperatures expected this week, it's important to be safe when trying to stay warm.


"Of course we've had a cold snap and I want to emphasize that propane and things like that are not to be used as heat." Beaumont fire marshal, Captain Earl White said.


His daughter Tracy Wright says her father knew better than to light the tank inside.


"I really don't think people should use them, it's unsafe, he could've passed away out here, I could've came to a tragedy," Wright said.


It's a hard lesson, Wright says her family learned.


The the homeowner received first degree burns to his face while trying to put out the fire.  Beaumont EMS paramedics treated him at the scene.



 

Homeowner suffers injuries to face when propane burner sparks fire

Monday, February 11 2013, 04:50 PM CST
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
[an error occurred while processing this directive]