Homeowner holds intruder at gunpoint
NEDERLAND-By: Leslie Rangel
A Nederland homeowner woke up to an intruder in his home on the 100 block of Ave. D Saturday night and held him at gunpoint until police arrived.
Investigators say the suspect was not very smart, he shattered the front door made of glass and pulled out a knife as a weapon.
Neighbors are using the homeowner's quick thinking as a lesson learned, in the normally quiet neighborhood.
"God no! I've been here 20 years now and this is the first incidence that has happened here in this area." neighbor Michael Mitchell said.
He lives just two doors down from where the invasion happened.
He was in his home when the intruder burst into his neighbor's front door. He says he's glad his neighbor pulled out his gun to protect his family.
"I think he did a fantastic job, same as I would do." Mitchell says.
They say they are all shaken up because the intruder was so bold.
Investigators say the intruder is lucky he's alive.
"You enter someone's home in the middle of the night, you can expect the possibility of getting shot." Nederland Police Chief Darrell Bush said.
Despite the scare, Bush says this is only the 2nd time in 4 years something like this has happened.
The suspect is waiting to be formally charged.
Friday, February 8 2013, 12:46 PM CST
- Coming up on KFDM at 6 PM
- Popularity of golf carts in Port Neches raises concerns about driver safety
- Fire damages bus used to transport PA plant workers; driver escapes
- Lightning sparks fire that destroys Jasper-area home
- Orange County man guilty of possessing child pornography
- Tonight at 10: Fireworks Survival Guide - keep your family safe
- State Fire Marshal : Fireworks can have lethal results.
- Texas man pleads guilty to Hate Crimes law
- Breaking: OPD arrests loan business robbery suspect
- Benefits offered for same-sex spouses of Texas state workers
- KFDM Quickcast for Monday, July 1, your brief look at stories making the news
- Obama: US embassy in Havana marks 'new chapter' in Cuba ties
- Outside lane of I-10 closed Wednesday from Adams Bayou to SH 87
- Beaumont gives traffic, safety alert for 4th of July celebration downtown
- Rifle-toting robber holds up loan business in Orange
- OK Top Court: 10 commandments monument must come down